Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Sometimes, the best lessons are taught by the most unlikely people

Last night, as I was reading to Micah, I heard some yelling outside. I ignored it for a while but soon decided to look outside the window to see what was going on. There was someone on the driveway, yelling and acting very strangely. Our neighbour was also out there, speaking to the person in a calm, quiet way, encouraging her to keep walking. I made sure all the doors were locked and then I called 911.

At one point, Tim drove into the driveway and for a brief moment, I was afraid that he'd drive right over her. We have a pretty long driveway and he would not be looking out for a person standing in the way. Fortunately, he saw the woman and was able to avoid her. Tim and the neighbours stayed outside to watch and make sure she wouldn't hurt herself or anyone else. About 30 minutes later, a police cruiser came by and took her away.

Joey, Micah and I were standing by the upstairs window, watching, while all of this took place. The whole situation, while not dangerous for us, was disturbing.

And no teacher, parent or textbook could have taught the lesson about alcohol and drug addictions in a more effective way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean when you say you found it disturbing. And yes.. life is the best teacher.

Anvilcloud said...

well, that's bizarre.

Anonymous said...

Wow.

And it took 30 minutes for someone to come fetch her?

Judy - Anybody Home
www.judyh58.blogspot.com