Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Give Aways

"Free, to a good home: 2 year old cocker spaniel. Shots are up to date. Shy. Would do best in a quiet home." Sammy has to leave our home. We had to make a decision between him and the 4 teenagers living in this house.

Last year, when Alvaro was living with us, Sammy would bark and growl at him. Alvaro was okay with this and he accepted the fact that Sammy didn't like him.

This fall, when Medardo came, and later Nik, the growling and barking increased and he started chasing after them and nipping them. Amanda, who lives in the apartment in the basement has also felt Sammy's teeth on her heels and hands. They have all been very gracious to us while we have tried to deal with this problem. He is also beginning to act aggressively toward Tim and Kristen at times.

We've spoken to dog lovers and dog trainers. I perused books in the library and spent time on- line looking for solutions. Wes and I took him to another obedience class and asked the trainer there for suggestions. We have tried everything but shock therapy and nothing has worked. Sammy's aggressive behaviour is getting worse and for the safety of the people living with us, Sammy has got to go.

Sammy has never growled or barked at me or Wes. I believe that he thinks it's his job to protect us (me especially). His behaviour is worst when I'm home alone and someone comes in. I suppose Sammy is only doing what he thinks he must. When I am home alone with him, we have fun. I really like this dog and he loves me. He has turned me from a dog tolerater into a dog lover.

Giving him up is hard and I'm sure that I will shed a few tears when we send him off to another owner. We will give him away. Trying to sell him seems wrong to me.

Our home is a busy one. We have 2 of our own children living with us as well as Medardo and Leo. (Leo came to our home from Brazil a couple of weeks ago when Nik went off to Argentina.) Wes and I are pretty consistent with our comings and goings but the young people in this home come and go at all hours of the day and night. We frequently have people dropping in too. I think that all of this activity is hard for a sensitive dog to deal with.

I'm feeling a little guilty too. Before Sammy came along, everything I read reminded me that this is a big commitment that can last for many years. I felt I was ready for that. I guess we just weren't ready for Sammy. He would do best in a home where there is less activity and more predictability.

We cannot risk Sammy biting someone. Leo and Medardo spend little time downstairs, partly because of Sammy and that's no good. Amanda gets chased down the stairs when she comes home. That does not make for a very peaceful household. I worry that one day Sammy may bite a younger child who comes here. Nipping at heels and legs is one thing but if he were to harm a young child, I could not forgive myself.
I've posted an ad in the Buy and Sell. If anyone who reads this post knows of someone who might like a loveable, sensitive, eager to please dog, who sits, heels, lies down and is working on staying, let me know.

We will get another dog. Our experience with Sammy has been by and large, a positive one. We'll just have to be a little more careful about breed (no purebred) and temperament (calm and gentle).

6 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I know that it's hard, but when pets aren't being pets, something has to give.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear this but I do understand. Our children must and do come first. I would suggest placing Sammy back in the rescue organization where you got him. They will most likely place him in a foster home and ask that he be adopted into a home with out children. Most rescue organizations are more than willing to take back dogs that they have placed if there is problems.
I know how bad you must feel about this.. but you are doing the right thing for your family.

Judy said...

Oh! That is so sad.

I'm sure there is a quiet home somewhere that will love Sammy.

I understand about the coming and going at all hours. Not good for high strung dogs.

mmichele said...

Awww...
Sammy looks so sad in that photo. Like he knows the truth but can't stop himself. I'm hoping for a little old lady. And maybe he could even be a hero and take on a home invader for her.

Valerie Ruth said...

cause for paws will take him back. at least, on the contract we signed with bentley we had to sign that we would call them first if we needed to give him up for any reason. i know you got him from there because i saw your picture on the website :)

joyce said...

what a lovely looking dog. And when I saw that picture I thought, "I'll take him!"

But I don't think that a biting dog will help polish up my image.

This must be sad for you. Let's hope for a lonely dog person to scoop Sammy up and lavish him with love.