Headline in the Free Press today: "Billion pounds recycled."
Wow! That's good. Something to cheer about. We Manitobans have now recycled one billion pounds (467 million kilograms) since 1995. The increase is approximately 3.4 percent over last year.
As I read this I thought that Manitobans have finally jumped on the recycling bandwagon. We've been slower than other provinces. Finally, we have our act together.
"The jump is probably due to a solid economy, as people toss more containers into blue boxes when they buy more goods, MPSC (Manitoba Product Stewardship Corporation) general manager Jim Fogg surmised.
"The economy has been strong, and that means people consume more," said Fogg."
Suddenly, I don't feel like cheering quite so loudly.
3 comments:
I noticed that one, as well.
Oh man. That sucks.
At least more and more of the containers are being recycled and not just added to the garbage piles.
Post a Comment