I do not usually go to thrift stores unless I am dropping something off. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I so seldom find anything that works for me. One of the last times I shopped at a thrift store, I found 2 shirts for sale that I already owned, were hanging in my closet and I still wore. That was so depressing I vowed never to go in again.
I do go on occassion. On Tuesday, I had something to drop off and thought I'd go in and have a look. We have a lovely little room in our house that I call the turret room. It is octagonal in shape with 5 huge windows. When we bought the house, I said that I wanted to turn it into a prayer room or meditation room. Alas, we had to put the TV in there.
Today, the room is empty, the TV is tucked away in a room upstairs and I can finally create my oasis. Hence the visit to the thrift store. I found a round table that with a table cloth will be perfect for a candle or something. $15.00. And the thrift store is run by MCC with a lot of people volunteering their time so even my $15.00 will be put to good use.
I also found 2 prints. Having just had some paintings framed, I know the value of a frame and mat. The prints themselves were not something that I would choose but I could see that they had been professionally framed. I decided to buy the pair ($15.00) and just replace the print. When I got home and looked at them again, I realized that they would look perfect in my living room-as is. They are botanical prints with colours that are just right. So, I'll hang them up without changing anything.
I think I'll shop at thrift stores more often.
3 comments:
I didn't do the thrift store shopping thing either until I started working at Value Village...now I tend to find much better deals when I do go..I'm glad that your trip was beneficial!
I love thrift stores.. but I find I have to be in the mood and have some free time to spend looking around.
Your litte room sounds lovely.. and the perfect place for quiet reflection.
Always keep your eye's out for a good record when your there!
Post a Comment