Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Freezies

Michele mentioned freezies in her post the other day and that reminded me of a cute kid story.

I too had those freezies in my freezer and frequently doled out quite a large number to the neighbourhood kids.

One day I had been out for the morning when I came home and realized that I had forgotten to lock the door. I entered slowly and saw that everything seemed in place and it looked like nothing was stolen. But when I got into the kitchen, I saw a chair right in front of the frig, scissors on the counter and the ends of two freezies. I was puzzled. The chair, scissors and freezie ends were not there when I left. Had Ben grabbed a couple just before we left? That was impossible because I had been with him all the time.

The answer suddenly dawned on me. I went outside to talk to David, Ben's little friend who was probably 4 years old at the time. I asked him if he had eaten a freezie that morning and he said he had. I then asked him where he got the freezie and he replied matter of factly that he had gotten it from my house. Apparently he knocked and when no one answered, he tried the door which was unlocked and proceeded to help himself and his sister to a freezie. He knew where I kept the freezies and the scissors which I used to cut the tops off.

I found it all hilarious and very clever. David's responses to my questions were straightforward and I believe that he felt he didn't do anything wrong. I guess any other time he asked me for a freezie, I would give him one. If I wasn't home, he would just help himself.

His mom did not find it quite as funny as I did and told David that he was never to do that again. I don't believe he ever did and besides, I was not in the habit of keeping my door unlocked when I went out so there was no opportunity for him to do it.

David is 24 by now I think. I wonder if he remembers?

No comments: