Thursday, August 24, 2006

ATM Etiquette

Yesterday I read a story in the Free Press about someone who had found money in a bank machine. The previous person must have forgotten to remove it and the finder was trying to track down the person who lost the money. Apparently, the bank can't even track it down.

This reminded me of a similar story that happened to me several years ago. I was in the car with Michele and we decided that we would go to one of those drive-thru ATMs. I had never used one before and was driving slowly as I was trying to figure out just where I had to go in and how close I had to be to the machine to reach the buttons.

There was an older model car behind me and the person driving it seemed very impatient with me because I wasn't moving too quickly. I thought he needed to learn a lesson so I slowed down even more and really took my time at the ATM. He seemed to be losing his patience with me but I didn't care. I figured he needed to learn to slow down.

Finally, I was finished my transaction, put the car in gear and started driving away towards the parking lot. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the man who had been behind me raced out of the stall at the ATM machine and began following me. I was frightened because I had heard stories of road rage and this guy, with his long stringy hair and dirty clothes fit my idea of a man out of control.

He began honking his horn and swerving around, and at one point I began to realize that he wasn't angry, he was just trying to get my attention. I slowed down and opened my window. He rolled down his window and handed me some cash-the cash I had left in the ATM machine. I thanked him, he nodded and went off to do his transaction.

I was embarrassed at my insensitive actions and wished that I could speak with the man and buy him a coffee but of course, that was not to be.

Who do you think learned a lesson that day?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story! We tend to be so quick to judge others. How wonderful to hear of someone so very honest. I think there is more than one lesson to be learned here. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yup it does get lonely when he is gone for the whole weekend. It doesn't happen alot but enough. I do try to get out while he is gone. Tomorrow I have a birthday party with my new church in the afternoon. Sunday is church. Relax and go to bed early for a change and read :) This weekend I am also working on my big HotSpot the filing cabinet. The top cabinet there are only three files left and the bottom isn't much.
Next will be all the piles of fire-related stuff all over the house. I have a box in the garage to help with that.
Thanks for posting on my blog :)

Anvilcloud said...

Any day that you can learn a lesson without it costing a whole lot is a good day.

Dale said...

Thank you for sharing your story, Linda. We can all gain a bit of wisdom from that, can't we?

mmichele said...

ah, yes. the guy we thought was crazy...

joyce said...

Very nice.