Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Voting

I voted yesterday. Even though my vote doesn't really count as I am in Bill Blakie's riding and he ALWAYS wins, by a landslide. It took all of 5 minutes or so and while I was there, I had a few random thoughts:

- I thought of people in other countries who risk their lives to vote. Too often we hear of violence and intimidation on voting days in countries who are attempting to establish democracy.
- I remember watching a news story about election day in an African country (I don't remember which one it was) where people stood out in the blazing sun for hours, patiently waiting to mark their ballots.
- There are places in the world where all of the candidates are from one party. You get to vote "yes" or "no."
- Election day is one of those days where everyone in my neighbourhood stops for a moment and goes to vote. There is a bit of a party atmosphere in the polling station and I always think that they should have at least coffee and doughnuts for all of us. Then we can sit around and just "shoot the breeze" for a while.
- I really sense a strong feeling of community at the polling station. I can't recall any other time where I feel so much a part of my neighbourhood and my country. There are lots of people out on the street-walking-as the polling station is usually pretty close to home.
- I also feel that as an active voter, I do have the right to criticize and comment on what our politicians are doing. I participated in the election process, therefore I may participate in whatever happens once things are settled after the election. Those people who choose not to vote (and in my mind there is no good reason not to vote) have no right to comment on anything. When people tell me that they are not voting because they don't like any of the candidates, I want to tell them to get involved and change things. They cannot just stick their heads in the sand and then criticize whatever happens.

If you didn't vote, it's too late for you now but I would really encourage you to go out and vote next time you have a chance. Democracy depends on it.

5 comments:

ccap said...

(and in my mind there is no good reason not to vote) have no right to comment on anything.

HERE, HERE!

Anvilcloud said...

Good reflections. I am in a similar situation -- perhaps feeling that my vote doesn't count -- but I always think how we'd all feel if we were not allowed to vote.

Heather Plett said...

We've been having some interesting conversations with the girls about this topic - trying to instill in them the idea that not only do we have a RIGHT to vote, but we have a RESPONSIBILITY. They take it so for granted, and were rather horrified to hear that in some countries, the simple fact that they are females would exclude them.

Anonymous said...

Voting is always very emotional for me. I am always so thankful for the privilage and for this wonderful Country.
Just as a side note.. I went to high school with Bill Blakey. I am always so thrilled to see him doing so well... didn't vote for his party though.
Just as another side note.. his riding is right next door to ours. We could be neighbours Linda :-)

micah said...

who did you vote for