Sunday, January 23, 2011

Enjoy the planning

We have a wedding celebration to plan this summer. Kristen's getting married to the love of her life, Andy.

The best advice I got just after I was engaged some 30+ years ago was from a friend/cousin who was married a year before my engagement. She said, "Enjoy this time of planning." Good advice because wedding planning can be all-consuming. You want everything just right-the dresses, the venue, the flowers, photos. And everything just can't be perfect. And brides especially, can get pretty stressed out about that stuff.

Weddings have become a huge industry. The amount of time and money that can be spent on them is outrageous. And I'm worried about the cheap, judgemental, scroogey (is that a word?) side of me coming out today at the wedding show.

But I will remember the advice Joyce gave to me so many years ago. I will enjoy all the lovely things I see. I will enjoy the fact that my daughter actually wants me to join her and her girlfriends at the show. I will learn, I will get some great ideas and I will enjoy this time. I will ooh and aah at the dresses. I will admire the pots and pans and other kitchen gadgets that I don't need but love to look at.

Maybe I'll even write another post, after the show, to let you know how it went. That would be a record. Two back to back posts.

3 comments:

mmichele said...

pictures! take pictures!

Larissssa said...

It will be fun! Enjoy!

Ian Timshel said...

The unrelenting pursuit of ease. You raise my game!