Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tuesday Twelve

What I like about teaching ESL.
  1. Walking into the classroom to a chorus of "Hi Teacher! How are you today?" in various accents. They seem genuinely happy to be there and happy to see me.
  2. Being the only caucasian in the classroom.
  3. I love being stretched and challenged in a new way.
  4. Not having to worry about class control.
  5. Seeing the "aha!" moment, when something I'm trying to teach is understood.
  6. We listened to "Let it Snow" today and one of the vocabulary words I presented was "kiss." One student, in very broken English described how his nephew would greet him with a big kiss and a hug when he would walk in the door. That just warmed my heart.
  7. The unit I'm teaching now is about weather. It's so good to see people excited about the snow and cold.
  8. I'm using a Smart Board. What a great invention!
  9. My practicum teacher, Heather, who is full of encouragement and ideas.
  10. I asked one student where she was from and she answered that she is originally from Somalia but lived in Yeoman for a while. She must have quite a story and I'm thrilled to be part of the group that will give her the English skills to share it one day.
  11. It doesn't matter what your class is made up of, there is always one or two jokers (usually male). We have them too and they add some great humour to the class.
  12. It's cool to see students from so many different countries work so hard to communicate even though their English is very basic. The need to communicate and relate is so very strong.

3 comments:

Ian Timshel said...

I concur Michele. Teaching is not celebrated much outside the experience itself. Brilliant, thanks for the booster.

Bert said...

Let's hope the jokers haven't watched Stripes.

pamero said...

Man, I'd be thrilled if you were my teacher. Glad to hear you're having a good time!