For the time being, I volunteer twice a week in a program for immigrant and refugee moms with preschoolers. Teaching these women is a pleasure. Despite the hardships that all of them have experienced in their lives, they are the most positive group of people I have ever worked with.
Spoke with a woman today who told me that her husband was a pharmacist in his homeland and now works at a meat packing plant. I don't understand how Canada encourages skilled people to immigrate and then doesn't allow them to work in their professions. The woman's husband inquired about working as a pharmacist and he was told that he needed to take his schooling all over again. Beginning with the first year.
This same woman (Leke) told me about a time she was at a local hospital, visiting her sister-in-law. Someone was trying to put an IV into her sil's hand and after trying 3 times, the sister-in-law who was in pain and fed up with her nurse asked if Leke could do it. After assuring the nurse that she was well qualified, Leke poked the needle into her sil's hand successfully, first time.
I'm sure administrators and head nurses don't know about this but I think, if I ever find myself in a hospital bed needing an IV, I'd take my chances with Lete.
2 comments:
Having had way too many incompetent nurses try and fail at finding my slippery veins, I'd take a chance at Leke too.
I am amazed and pleased that the nurse let her. It is crazy that there is not more for people who have great qualifications.
Post a Comment