Wednesday, April 22, 2009

In the Netherlands, the land of my ancestors, there is a wonderful tradition where you eat a gebakje (decadent small cake) on behalf of a person who is having a birthday. Usually, you eat the gebakje with the birthday person but if the person is not around, then you must eat one in his or her honour.

Happy birthday Micah!

Thanks for having a birthday.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I've wondered how you spell that word - gebakje. hmm.
When I was growing up (probably because there were too many birthdays) we changed to eating icecream on someone's birthday. Eventually we would start scrounging for any birthday on days we wanted icecream. I'm sure that all of my sisters still eat ice cream on my mom and oma's birthdays.

mmichele said...

Yum! Where did you get those?

Linda said...

Nicole, I'm not really sure if that's the correct spelling.

Michele, they came from Goodies.