Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Still in the Decluttering Stage

It seems that the virus I picked up in Ontario is rapidly leaving my system. Good thing. There's lots to do.

I am in the middle of packing up half of my house so that by May 1, it can be staged and ready for showings.

Staging is a new thing for me even though it's been part of the Real Estate lingo for quite some time. In staging your home, you need to declutter, clean (toothbrush clean, my agent tells me), reduce the amount of furniture you have or move it so that you can create "vignettes," and then add only the most minimal decorative touches. Your home needs to look like a model home, a place in which prospective buyers can easily imagine themselves living.

It's been freeing to declutter. There has been much that has been brought to our local thrift store. Boxes and some bookcases will be sent over to Ben and Carolyn's. Photos have been removed from the walls, small repairs have been made. I'm working my way down to the bottom of my freezer and reducing the food in the pantry. Our agents suggested that we take half the clothes out of the closet-quite a challenge because there's not much in there that I don't wear. Remove wire hangers, only use wood or plastic..the list goes on and on.

I think the biggest challenge for us will be keeping our home looking perfect for however long it takes to sell. I do worry about that. Too much.

Ah well. We can only do so much. Hopefully, we'll sell within a couple of months and I'll realize that I didn't have to stress about it. At least all of this preliminary work will make the actual move much easier.

I'm off to pack away some more stuff.

2 comments:

mmichele said...

wow. that is intense. toothbrushes... wire hangers...

Anonymous said...

I have never heard the term "staged" before but I so understand what it means. My sister just lived through a similar scenario but in Victoria, B.C. Theirs too was an older home and happily.. it sold this week. With the Wpg market being what it is.. I have a feeling you will be pleasantly surprised.