Thursday, January 24, 2008

I'm having a little trouble sleeping so those of you who check my blog have lots to read

Last Tuesday evening was our second cross-country skiing lesson. The temperature (including wind chill factor) was hovering around -27 C and so I called the school to see if the class was still on. It was.

When Wes came home, I very nicely asked him to call again. Maybe they changed their minds and realized that it was too cold to go cross country skiing. No such luck. They told him too that the class was going ahead.

I wore long johns, thermal socks and 2 wind resistant pairs of pants. On the top I wore a shirt, like the long johns, a long sleeved top, vest, fleece and then my jacket, which I could hardly zip up. I also wore a hat and warm mittens. I figured that I would be prepared even though I would have cancelled, if it were up to me. The "you've got to be crazy" theme kept popping up in my head as well as the "you're doing this for fun?" phrase.

But as soon as we headed out my mood and attitude changed. When it is so cold here in the prairies, the sky is amazingly clear. There was a full moon out that was hanging low in the sky and providing light. We walked through the trees to a clearing where we began our lesson. It seemed unbelieveable that we were in the middle of the city and yet it was so calm and quiet. It was just beautiful out there. And as long as we were moving, we were not cold. As a matter of fact both Wes and I ended up taking our jackets off at one point.

They (whoever they are) say that the people who enjoy the winter most in Winnipeg are the ones who get out and find outdoor activities to do. After last night, I tend to agree.

But I know myself. Next week, if it is any colder than -25 C, I'm going to call and see if the class is cancelled. It probably won't be and I'll have to talk myself into going. Once I get out there though, I'll be glad I did. That's how it always goes with me.

We enjoyed it so much that we will probably go out sometime this weekend to practise.

3 comments:

Heather Plett said...

I'm inspired by you and Wes and your willingness to try new things and take risks.

Anvilcloud said...

Yeah, I think we have to get out too, but I can't always make myself do it. There's not really enough snow here for snowshoeing, which we would like to do.

Anonymous said...

Hearing that -20 something forecast is indeed very daunting. But YAY for you guys. I too love our Manitoba skies.