Thursday, December 06, 2007

I Should Have Taken A Picture

Last night we went to the Starbucks location where Tim has been working for about 6 months. He will never get rich, or be able to support himself and a family working at this place, but he is happy. He won't be a barista forever but, this place is good for his soul.

(I love the word barista. It is one of the few words in our language that is gender neutral but sounds feminine; unlike so many words that can refer to both men and women that have a decidedly masculine sound to them.)

The Christmas party was held last night at Tim's Starbuck's. The store is open from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM 7 days a week so it is not possible for the staff to have a Christmas party unless they close the store which will never happen. Instead, they served samples of some of their drinks and foods to the customers while Tim and 2 other baristas he works with brought their guitars and sang carols.

I never tire of seeing and hearing my children play and sing so when Tim invited us, I knew we had to go. Because he still lives at home, I hear him playing alot. I love Christmas carols and not only were they performed well last night, there were a few people singing along, in harmony. It sounded beautiful.

This was one of those moments where I didn't expect much but ended up receiving lots. I thought we'd support Tim, buy a coffee, listen to him and leave. And I suppose that's what we did. But I didn't expect to be so blessed and touched by a bunch of amateur musicians, jamming with their instruments and voices, having fun. The sounds of harmony and guitar, of people in quiet conversation, interspersed with laughter-the pleasant peaceful sounds of Christmas.

A lovely moment in time.

1 comment:

Simply Coll said...

A touch of the true Christmas... such a blessing to receive.