Sunday, December 02, 2007

Determination

That Kristen. She is one determined young woman.

She's been having some trouble with her car battery and was trying to find a way to take care of it. The car has been parked on the road beside our house for about a week and she's been using mine since I haven't been needing it. She was in no rush to deal with it and besides, it's been cold around here. Who wants to work on a car when it's -20 outside? It was easy to just leave it alone and hope (?) that somehow the problem would go away.

Yesterday, the winter parking ban was put into place. This means that there is to be no parking on the streets of Winnipeg between the hours of 2 and 6 AM. It makes snow clearing, much of which happens during the night, a lot easier. If your car is left out on the street, you can get either a parking ticket or your car can be towed, neither one a good option.

Suddenly the dead car on the street became a priority.

It was Saturday night and there were no men around to do it for her. And I wasn't going to do it! I'm still convalescing for pete's sake! Besides, I know that it's really important not to mix the red and blue cable up. You can do some serious damage to a car. I never remember which one is positive and which is negative. I usually have Wes, my KISA (Knight in Shining Armour) do it for me.

So Kristen, in her usual fashion found a way. CJ did a search on google (whatever did people do before the internet?), found the proper way to boost a car, and made notes. They went outside together, Kristen placed the booster cables in the proper spots on both cars and...it started! I think they were as surprised as I was, and very pleased with their achievement.

The car is now in Wes' spot in the garage, and a new battery is sitting on the kitchen counter. The guy at Canadian Tire said she could replace the battery herself, it's that easy and I think with her new found confidence in her mechanical abilities, she just may try. Or, Wes might really want to park his car in the garage before it snows again and end up replacing the battery.

We'll have to see who can hold out the longest.

4 comments:

Kim O said...

I can picture Kristen doing a lot of things, but not that! kudos to her! no doubt she gets her determination from her parents!

Bert said...

That's pretty amazing. Good for her.

Oh yeah, good to see you blogging more.

joyce said...

oh, thank you for hope. My eldest is being very 13 these days and i need some inspiration to believe that she's going to turn out well.

Simply Coll said...

Way to go Kristen! :-)