Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I have been home for 2 weeks and while I have felt a desire to post something, I hardly know where to start.

How do you write about something that was better than you expected, something that changed you in ways you can't even express? How do you describe the pain you felt, in your butt, in your heart, in your mind, biking up yet another hill, wondering if you could make it?

Or the moment of absolute panic when you see your husband just ahead of you, flying through the air like a (very large) bird, over his handlebars and landing smack on his chest? (There's no picture of that because it all happened so quickly. Fortunately, he was fine and got back on his bike after about 15 minutes.)
This was what he had to show for it a few days later.

Words cannot express the experience of sitting in the shade of a 12th century castle, looking over a gorgeous valley, eating a picnic lunch supplied by villagers all over the age of 70.


How can you describe the Colleseum, the Forum and the Pantheon?


What can you say when you walk on streets worn by the footsteps of millions of people and wonder if the apostles Peter and Paul walked on the same roads?
Or celebrating your 28th anniversary by enjoying an exquisite glass of Italian wine in a lovely courtyard? How do you talk about the 8 people, who you will likely never meet again, who were your constant companions, best friends and all around amazing people?
I find that words really cannot describe it all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you were back, but you didn't post for so long I thought you might have decided to stay in Italy.
I'm glad you had a great time. I think that Wes has won the biggest bruise contest. Thanks for not showing us your bruised butt pics.
Still lurking on all the blogs.

John

Anvilcloud said...

It's hard to blog about trips. I tried while we were there in BC this summer, but that's not quite the answer either. You're right. We can't take every photo and we can't always capture our experiences in words. Maybe we can try, but we've only so much time.

Valerie Ruth said...

i'm glad you're back. and posting.

Dale said...

Ultimately, your experience (every experience) is a personal one. I'm sure this one will last forever in your treasure chest of memory. I'm glad you're home safe.

*

Anonymous said...

Wow.. this sounds like a most amazing time. What wonderful memories you have created.

Judy said...

Oh, wow.

Just let a little bit of your trip slip onto your blog now and then. I travel vicariously through people who go places other than thrift stores. Or, Wisconsin.