I will never forget that night.
The phone rang three times at 3:08 AM and I realized that Kristen was not yet home. No message was left but I called her anyway.
"Mom, CJ's mom just died. I don't know what to do!"
Neither did I but I went to the hospital to see if there was anything I could do. It was pissing rain and CJ was outside because he couldn't stand to be in the emergency waiting room one more minute. All I could do was to put the umbrella over him even though he didn't seem to notice the pouring rain.
And then, "My mom just died. I can't believe it. My mom just died." And I glimpsed a little boy who didn't know what to do, didn't know if he could survive without his mom.
I made some cookies, sent over a lasagne and made a donation to the Canadian Diabetes Society.
It all seems so insignificant.
I just don't know what to do.
6 comments:
And I just don't know what to say. My heart goes out to CJ - what a huge loss.
I think you're doing as much as you can. Showing up is the biggest and best thing you can do.
My heart is breaking for CJ.
Be there. Let him talk. Things you are already doing.
((Hugs to you all))
It's tough, but having you there will make it a little more bearable.
the umbrella probably meant more than words ever could
Oh Linda- even though I don't really know CJ, my heart goes out to him and his family. What an experience for Kristen too- such a loss for a young couple to deal with. That's really tough. I've heard that 90% of being there for people is just showing up and you have done that already. I'm not sure there's much else you can do.
Thinking of you all....
I'm just so sorry.
Post a Comment