Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Music

I love Classical music. I enjoy listening to it and when nobody's home, I enjoy playing some of the pieces I know from years ago, on the piano. I think that Baroque has to be my favourite period. When Michele asked me to accompany her for a Vivaldi piece she is playing on the flute, I said yes right away. Yesterday, we practised and then we went to her lesson where I accompanied her.

Something happens when we play together. Maybe it's because we're sisters and we have a unique connection. Part of it must be the way Vivaldi put his notes and chord progressions together. But whatever it is, when we play together, nothing matters anymore but making beautiful music. It is one of those times when I feel like I'm "in the moment." One of those times when I feel like this is what I was created to do. I am firing on all 8 cylinders.

On one hand it's exhausting because we're focussing and concentrating so hard. But the result is beautiful music. While we have to practise some more, there were moments of pure joy and beauty last night.

Sometimes, I wish that I had focussed on a different instrument. I was talking with my nephew Joey once and he said something like, "piano's your favourite instrument." He assumed that was the case because I can play piano. The piano just happened to be the easiest one at the time and I hadn't even considered playing another instrument. And I really do enjoy playing it.

I think my favourite instrument is the oboe and I would have loved to learn how to play that when I was young. I am definitely too old for that instrument now. Oboe players literally have to blow their brains out to get a good sound. I am trying to conserve as many brain cells as possible now so playing an instrument like the oboe is out of the question.

But last night, piano was my instrument of choice. Playing along with a gifted, talented flautist (that's you Michele) was a wonderful moment. I hope to do it lots more.

When do we practise again?

6 comments:

Whippersnapper said...

I played clarinet in junior high. I seem to remember never changing the reed, and at one point asking all the girls to give it a sniff. Yeah, they all died.

I haven't played clarinet for years.

Heather Plett said...

When do we get to hear you?

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you and your sister have music as this connection. I wish I could hear you play.

Dale said...

Could be that for you, playing music creates something Marcus Borg called a "thin place" where you can connect with your Spirit. And with God.

Play on, girl. Play on!

Judy said...

Oh! I love piano and flute.

Wish I could hear you both.

joyce said...

There is something beautiful about making music with your sister. This post reminds me of a favourite childhood memory of my sis playing piano and me singing along, or playing my clarinet.
Some times of sheer, simple beauty.