Sunday, March 25, 2007

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Kristen broke up with CJ today, her boyfriend of 18 months. She is very sad and in tears but she knows that it is for the best. Her hopes, desires and goals did not match those of CJ and she knew that this relationship could not last. It was stagnant and not going anywhere.

I had suggested to her a while ago that CJ might not be the best person for her and it seems that lots of people were telling her the same thing. I've always felt that a relationship could not last much longer than 1 1/2 years without something happening. Either a couple needs to move forward and make some kind of commitment to each other, or they should break up. Of course, there are exceptions to that "rule" but it seems to be the case for most people with whom I am acquainted.

It is the best thing for her and she knows that. I'm happy that she has finally taken this step and I told her that I admire her for doing it. She has known for a while that it had to happen and today she found the courage to do it.

CJ is not taking it so well and I understand that harsh words were spoken. That's too bad but I suppose breaking up can be pretty messy.

Kristen will survive this, I know. She will learn from this too. She will grieve the loss of a friend and I hope she will remember the good things about CJ, not only the bad.

It is my hope and prayer for her and my other 2 sons who have not yet met their "significant other" that they will meet someone who will encourage, challenge and bring out the best in them. I hope that they will meet someone who will love them in spite of their flaws. I hope they will meet people who desire to grow, who are life long learners.

Settling for someone less is just stupid.

3 comments:

Dale said...

She deserves a pat on the back, that girl. It's what I've been preaching for years: Loving yourself first.

I settled for "someone less" and the decision hurt not only me, but two innocent children as well.

I wish I'd thought to love myself then as much as Kristen demonstrates now. It hurts now, but believe me, it would hurt much more in five years.

Valerie Ruth said...

i weeded through a bunch of boys and broken hearts before i found ravi - a man even my grandmother approves of! it's hard and it hurts. but the lessons learned along the way are invaluable in finding the RIGHT person. i found, anyway.

Jae said...

Kristen is so amazing, she deserves someone who will fly to the moon and back for her!!