Monday, January 08, 2007

Music and my Aging Ears

I asked for, and received an MP3 player for Christmas. It holds about 120 songs and can receive FM signals.

I thought it would be good to have at the gym as the music there is TERRIBLE! I know I sound like my mother but did my music, when I was a teenager sound that bad to her? It couldn't have. At least there were lyrics and melodies and you could sing along. With the music they play at my gym, either I can't hear the words or they're so bad, they make me blush. What's more is that very few people are younger than 30 when I am at the gym. I'd guess that most of them don't like the music either.

So, I thought having my own music would be good.

There are a few problems though. I don't know very many songs or musicians. I downloaded 10 songs yesterday but I gotta tell you that Bach's "Air on a G String" or Debussy's "Claire de Lune" don't really help me get my heart rate up. They tend to slow me down. I need something fast and peppy.

There are televisions at the gym too. I guess they are supposed to help us pass the time. If you tune into a certain spot on the FM dial, you can hear what's on TV. Did that this morning too with little success. The headphones don't block out sound very well so I was listening to the TV while the "music" was pounding loud. My heart rate was going up alright, along with my blood pressure.

I think I sound like my dad.

Maybe I'm just too old for an MP3 player. They say that as you age, it becomes more difficult for you to block out and ignore background sounds. I'm finding that's true for me. It's no wonder that the older people complain about noise more than the younger ones. I'm beginning to understand. I hear the music on my player but I also hear all the other sounds too and it can drive me nuts!

I haven't given up on the MP3 player yet. I'll try to download some of my kind of music that will help me get movin'. I filled in and submitted one of those suggestion cards at the gym so we'll see if we get anywhere with that.
I'll keep going though. It's been almost a year since I joined Shapes and it has been good for my physical and mental health. I guess I'll just have to work out a little harder to get the stress of being at the gym out of my system.

7 comments:

mmichele said...

ABBA you must download some ABBA. then download some of your teenage songs, don't forget billy joel and elton john and check out this list for a bunch of top 10s from the 70s. i think that will do you well, even if your kids make fun of your mp3 choices.
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs70-79.html

Anonymous said...

I love ABBA too and have them on my new MP3 player too. Look at your CDs and pick out some from there. Or even books on CD you can do too.

joyce said...

I would have some similar issues. probably just get my husband to put music on it, since i hate learning new things, and my music just tends to be his music.
congrats though, on learning something new, and sticking with the gym for a whole year.

mmichele said...

um, by the way, you must be getting old if you can write "air on a g-string" without a smirk. bach's especially.

Anonymous said...

I love my MP3 player and part of the joy is that the songs on it are all of my favourites. Not all ear buds are the same. Some tend to fit better than others and therefore block out more of the background sounds. It took a bit of experimenting before I found a pair that worked well on my ears.
Way to go with sticking to the gym workouts.

I'm back...... said...

You have to download "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts. I am convinced that is a favorite song of every female I know!

thailandchani said...

Don't forget Donna Summer and all the older disco music. LOL

Seriously, I use it for exercise and it is "peppy" :)


Peace,


~Chani