The following is a little conversation between Medardo, our Mexican student and me, a slightly deaf homestay mother.
Medardo: Do you have a map?
Me: A map?
Medardo: Yes a mop.
Me: Oh. A mop
Medardo: Yes
Me: I just have to clean it out because the water in there is dirty and I had to wipe up Sammy's pee yesterday and then I had to clean up the honey that I spilled on the floor blah, blah, blah, blah.
Medardo: Okay
Medardo waits patiently while I rinse the mop and fill the pail with clean water.
Me: Here it is. Fresh water with a little cleaner in it. I like to use the orange smelly stuff blah, blah, blah, blah. The mop is nice and clean and you can just leave the water in the pail because blah, blah, blah, blah.
Medardo: No words, just a puzzled look on his face.
Me: Is something wrong?
Medardo: You got that for me?
Me: Yup.
Pause
Medardo: I asked for a map.
Me: Oooooooooh. A map! Not a mop!
Medardo: Yes a mop. (Giggle, giggle)
Medardo's English is actually very good and my hearing isn't all that bad. To my credit, I always get really excited when someone in my household asks for a mop or a vacuum or anything that might be used for cleaning. I think I just got carried away because I was so pleased that he was asking for a mop. Maybe I need to improve my listening skills.
At least I have a nice fresh pail of water with a clean mop. I wonder what I should do with it?
4 comments:
That is just TOO funny.
I feel the same level of excitement when a family member asks for a mop.
strange that he watched you the whole time and just waited...
That is hilarious!!! Should've made Tim do some cleanin'!!! :-)
This is just too funny. And I can certainly understand your excitement with the idea that someone other than you might be interested in the mop. :-)
Post a Comment