Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Happy Hallowe'en

Hello. My name is Linda and I hate hallowe'en.

That's right. I hate it. My creativity does not extend to making costumes out of popsicle sticks and cotton balls and everytime October 31 came around, I was reminded of my inadequacies. My procrastination would find me going nuts in the morning of the 31st, trying to find something that would fit over a snowsuit in case of cold weather or not, in case of warm.

And the candy. How can a candy addict possibly hand out candy to children and not eat at least half of it? My stomach would be aching and my tongue would be hurting from all the sugar.

I am so glad that I don't have to deal with any of that anymore. Last year only very few children came by our house so yesterday, for the first time in my life, I did what all the grouches do. I turned out the lights and pretended I wasn't home. I know. I'm an ogre. Too bad. I hate hallowe'en.

I was also a lazy mom. Allowing them only 2 treats per day as the "experts" recommend seemed to require far too much time and effort on my part, so, I allowed them candy eating periods. They were allowed as much candy as they could eat in 15 or 20 minutes. This way, all the candy was gone within a week. Hallowe'en was quickly forgotten.

I really admire all the people who can enjoy this holiday. Many of you enjoy the challenge of creating a unique and inexpensive costume. You have a creative bent that I can only dream of. But now, as I am dealing with an impending empty nest and the hard things that come with it, I know that hallowe'en is one thing that I never have to sweat about again.

So there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehe.. I too used to hate trying to put together last minute costumes for the kids. But I must admit.. I love the candy.. especially the licorice treats.

joyce said...

popsicle sticks and pom poms. That is just too rich!! Ogre away. I was a close second- I got nine children at the door, and I did not care. I told myself I could lock myself in my bedroom with a book if I felt like it.

And the experts? They're tied up with licorice right now. My children are playing nintendo with giant bowls of candy. I'm simply NOT LOOKING.

ccap said...

Yeah, I'm with you. Not crazy about it. Well, I don't mind the candy but creating costumes? BLECH!

-Me- said...

Your so lucky Linda! My halloween days have just begun, and now with number two on the way I fear I will have many more of these dreaded days...I'm not too crazy about the holiday either...I think its actually the day that Taylor is most impatient and most cranky as well, go figure!!!