Today, I went out to buy myself a pair of gloves. Usually I wait too long and end up with very little selection. I finally decided that it might be a good idea to purchase my gloves early so that I'll be ready when I need them.
Today, I needed them.
Two days ago, it was 25 outside and gorgeous. The trees are changing colour and the gorgeous blue of the prairie sky always takes my breath away. I love the fall, and I appreciate every day that is still mild. I actually enjoy the winters too and my only complaint is that they last too long. By March, I'm ready to see grass and dirt and in early April I want to see the crocuses, tulips and daffodils.
We're supposed to get a blast of winter tonight-a Colorado low. This system usually brings lots of moisture and it was actually responsible for all the snow we got back in April '97. I really do like snow but I don't like it so early in the season.
We have an international student from Mexico living with us this year. His name is Alvaro and he is giddy with excitement about the forcasted snowfall. He is out now, buying his winter clothing-Columbia jacket, toque, gloves and a scarf. He'll pick up some long underwear on the weekend. And then he'll be set. He found today to be really cold and I tried to explain to him that a windy day like today can seem more uncomfortable than a sunny, windless day where the temperature hovers around the -15 mark. He'll find out soon enough I suppose.
When I asked Alvaro about the weather in Mexico, where he lives he says every day is the same. It gets quite cool at night and the daytime is pretty warm. Carolina, our Brazilian student from last year told me that every day in the winter (our summer) is about 35C-40C, there is a rain shower in the late afternoon and the nights cool off a little. Not much to talk about. I realize that is why we Canadians talk about the weather so much. One day can be immensely different from the next. Here in Winnipeg, we can have as much as a 30 degree difference in 24 hours. That's something to talk about! Nothing much to say when every day is the same as the last. Alvaro noted at dinner that "every day is different here."
Well, there's not much I can do about the forcasted 5 cm of snow with gusting winds for tomorrow. I'll pull out the winter jacket, shoes and scarf. And I've got my new gloves. I'm ready and I promise. Tomorrow, I will not complain. Not much anyway.
1 comment:
I also like winter, and I also think that it stays a tad too long.
Post a Comment