It was a mere 26 years ago today that Wes and I "tied the knot" (to use an old cliche). I say "mere" because sometimes it seems like it's only been a few years that we've been together. But when I look at my adult sons and a daughter nearing adulthood, I am reminded again that it's been a long time.
I think that it seems like fewer than 26 years because daily, I'm still learning more about Wes and about living in a marriage relationship. We haven't got it all figured out yet. We're still working out the flaws of our relationship. In today's post, I'd like to honour my husband. We're not much into anniversary gifts and can't afford gold and diamond jewellry. I'm not too mushy either. So this post is my anniversary gift to my dear husband.
You were the one to put the kids to bed in the earlier years, before it was "trendy" for dads to do things like that. I knew that I could go to meetings in the evenings and be sure that our children had stories read to them and were lovingly tucked into bed.
You are a hard worker. I often brag about you and how you are so efficient and can get so much done. I must drive you crazy sometimes because I can be so inefficient and take ages to get a job done. I'm always very aware of how I'm feeling about a particular task. If I don't like what I'm doing, it's hard for me to continue. If you see that a job needs doing, you'll do it, without complaining, knowing that it has to be done. Remember putting pink insulation in that little crawl space attic in the kitchen at Hart Ave? It must have been 30 degrees outside and you just faithfully finished that awful job. I would have quit long before that. I can't name the number of times I've had a great idea (the garden) and you have gladly participated in it. These things would have never been done if it wasn't for your hard work and perseverance.
You have taught me more about the unconditional love and grace of God than anyone else on this earth. You have accepted me as I am for all the years of our marriage. You have loved me when I have acted unlovable. You have put up with my ranting and raving, with my moods and yet you still loved me.
When money was tight, you didn't insist I find a well-paying job. You knew that I needed to find something meaningful, even though the pay wasn't very good. You supported my voluteer efforts when they would take up much of my time and also, our income.
You are neat, I am messy. I must drive you crazy sometimes! But you have always continued to pick up after yourself.
You are organized, I am disorganized. But you have never held that against me or tried to “fix” me.
What makes our marriage work? I think that it is partly because of the promises we made to each other 26 years ago. When we are too tired, anxious and fearful to focus on each other, we remember the vows we made. “In sickness and health, for richer for poorer…”
We made these vows before God and family and friends who have supported us and encouraged us over the years. To be part of a strong community has enabled our marriage to thrive and flourish.
I don’t know what’s in store for us in the coming year. We have been spared so much of the pain and heartache that others have experienced but I know that there will be hard times ahead. I’m just grateful that you hold as a high priority a relationship with God. I know that whatever will happen as long as we lean on each other and on God, we will be able to withstand the storms that will inevitably come our way.
So, happy anniversary my love. May we have many more!
5 comments:
What a beautiful post! Happy Anniversary
That's a pretty nice present.
hey! you should add some stuff about YOU that's really great...
i'm musical, you... enjoy music...
i'm smart, so are you
i'm really funny, you laugh at my jokes....
etc
I am sorry I missed your entry yesterday honey, you humble me I must say. Thank you for your gift. I wish I could do something for you. I thought this morning, heh we never gave each other any gifts? Life is busy. I remember all the events you spoke like they were yesterday and sometimes wish I could bring them back. I was too rushed in spending time with the kids and thinking more about the work I needed to do after they were in bed. But, I think our kids turned out all right in spite of what I thought could be done better.
Honey, I love your ability take it easy in spite of all the things that need to be "done" around us. You always have had a focus in your priorities on what is truly important in life. Spending time with the kids, being at their games, watching their plays. Going out on dates with me, praying with me, crying with me when I am down and in despair. The list goes on and on and on. I could write a book about all the great things about you.
So for now I will write just a few. You are beautiful in every way, really smart, can live in a mess (I can't), funny, caring, laughs a lot, perceptive, wise, a true servant and I love you to bits for all those things and more.
Happy belated annivesary at least for this blog comment. (My very first one. I look forward with eager expectation to spending the rest of my life with you.
Your loving husband
Wes
There you have it folks. Ain't he great? And his first comment. Woo hoo! See you tonight honey!
Post a Comment