We buried an old friend yesterday. He was 51 years old, a husband, father, grandfather and friend. He was much too young to die and had many years of living to come as far as I was concerned. But somehow, cancer invaded his brain and continued it's deadly growth for 9 months until his body finally succumbed to it.
When we found out in September about the tumour, we began praying. Hundreds of us, praying hard. We reminded God that he had the power to heal with just a word. We prayed for a miracle. What a testimony that would be! We'd tell the world that the tumour had miraculously disappeared and we'd give God all the glory. God is good, we'd say.
But that was not to be. As I watched Gerald lying on the hospital bed, the life slowly seeping out of him, I wondered about the healing. I thought back to the times in the previous 9 months when he rallied and we ached to believe that would be the beginning of restoration to health. I watched him as his laboured breathing became slower and the times between breaths became longer. I saw his body, once tall, strong and athletic, reduced to skin and bones except for the puffiness that came from medications.
Where God, is the healing for which we so fervently prayed? Where are you in all of this? What do you mean when you say that my prayers will be answered if only I ask?
And then it occurred to me that the healing was indeed beginning. God knew that Gerald's time on earth was coming to an end and God knew that he would no longer need his mortal body in heaven. Flesh, bones, organs and bodily systems would only weigh him down like a ball and chain, impeding his ability to enjoy eternity. As I watched his body wasting away, I began to see his spirit, his God-essence become larger than his formerly imposing body, created for his time on earth. The healing of his spirit accelerated as his earthly body deteriorated.
We were created to live with God for eternity. Our time here on earth is short and none of us will experience complete healing from pain and sorrow until all that holds us to this earth is removed and we meet God, unfettered by our human bodies.
Today, the tears come frequently and the sadness easily overwhelms me. He will be missed and I know I will still wonder why it happened this way and why Gerald had to die so young. But I am grateful for answered prayer. Today, Gerald is healed. He is happy and free of pain, free from his feeble, weak body. Our prayers have been answered.
5 comments:
I wish I'd known him. I'm pretty sure I would have liked him.
A beautiful testimony to your friend.
I am so sorry to learn of the loss of your friend. Cancer can be so cruel.
Beautiful post, Linda.
So sad, but true.
And even hopeful!
x to you, Linda.
Post a Comment