After not having one for about 22 years, we have a back lane behind our house. When I first moved to Winnipeg thirty years ago, I didn't even know what a back lane was.
There was nothing like that in the town where I grew up. For those of you who don't know, a back lane is a lane that runs behind houses, eliminating the need for front driveways and giving homeowners a place to put their garbage cans and other junk that have no place to be stored. I have not seen a back lane that doesn't look shabby and messy. Most back lanes are rutted and in disrepair. I have never really understood the need for a lane especially because it takes up space that could otherwise have been used as backyard. IMHO.
I have discovered a great use for back lanes, now that I have one. Because we are sharing a house and yard with Michele and her family, we find that we have some surplus stuff to deal with. Michele had a patio set which was great until the fabric started tearing and the glass in the table exploded one day. It was a great set and with a little work, (well actually a lot of work) could become quite usable again. Neither one of us has the gifts or talent to pull off one of those "we found this set and for only 40 dollars were able to make it look as good as new" makeovers. And we really didn't need the set because between the 2 households, we have plenty of lawn furniture.
So we put it out in the back lane and voila! It disappeared within hours.
Now, what else can I put out there?
3 comments:
back lanes are magic.
Where I work, There is a back Lane called 'Central Lane'. It backs behind the houses in Dunnville. For us here, it ends up being a hotbed of criminal activity such as drug use, graffitti, stolen property, and an awesome escape route for the suspects, due to the lack of adequate lighting and the fact that you can sneek from one side of town to the other without walking (or running) in plain public view. I find it amazing the things we find back there. I wish the back lanes here were as magical as the ones in Winnipeg! They sound nice there!
oh yeah. We used to live in a "developing neighbourhood". We would have yard sales, then put all the surplus on the curb.
It all disappeared...
Post a Comment