It's a phone call every parent fears.
"Uh, mom? Can you come and pick me up? I've been in an accident-I'm okay, really I am, but I can't drive my car."
I pulled a jacket on over my pyjamas, found a pair of shoes and ran out the door. As I neared the intersection that Tim had directed me to, I saw a fire truck, ambulance and police cruiser. My heart sank right down to my feet. I parked my car and hurried over to the scene of the accident, my eyes searching the crowd for only one face. And then I saw him, standing with the paramedics, a little subdued but otherwise fine.
Neither Tim nor the other driver was really sure who had the green light. One of the firefighters told Tim that she smelled alcohol on the breath of the other driver. We're not sure because the police were questioning him as we were leaving. All they would have smelled on Tim was coffee breath as he was on his way home from work.
We got home just after midnight and I gave Tim a kiss and a hug-something I don't usually do before bed anymore.
It's possible that the car will be a write-off. He may feel a little stiff and sore this morning. This will set him back financially. But all that matters today is that he is here, at home, safe and sound.
And I have once again been reminded of how precious life is and how much I love my kids.
9 comments:
I'm so glad he's okay. Cars can be replaced, kids can't.
whoa. my heart sank to my feet, too.
So happy to hear that Tim's alright!! I hope he's not hurting too bad in the days/weeks to come.
Oh what a horrible feeling to be called like that. I'm glad all is well.
Tena
So thankful he is okay.
Calls like that make time stand still.
Kind of makes me glad for those days when there is nothing to post about!
A mother is relieved. It does remind us that life is fragile though, eh?
So glad to hear that Tim is OK. If they smelled booze on the other guys breath, throw the freakin' book at him.
yuck.
Your first sentence had my heart stop for a second. It is indeed a parents worst nightmare. I am so so relieved to learn that Tim is ok.
Post a Comment