Friday, June 08, 2007

Seven Wonders of Canada

If you are Canadian, you may have heard about the Seven Wonders of Canada contest that's been going on for several weeks here in our wonderful country. It has been a fascinating trip for me, through this great country of ours.

I think it all started as a fun little game, an opportunity for us to highlight some of the amazing sites and places in Canada. I'm sure the organizers never expected this little exercise would generate so much interest.

People, wrote, called and emailed with their own idea of what makes Canada wonderful. One million people sent in 25,000 submissions of what they thought should make the final list. I am glad that I was not a judge because every single suggestion is worthy to be a "Canadian Wonder." While I think the judges thought this would be a fun thing to be part of, it became clear that it was hard for them. How do you decide between The Cabot Trail, Bay of Fundy and Niagara Falls? How can you not include Drumheller or Head-Smashed-In-Buffalo Jump? Or the Winnipeg Folk Fest, or Churchill or the Red River Floodway?

In the end, the Seven Wonders of Canada are:
  1. The Canoe
  2. Niagara Falls
  3. Prairie Sky
  4. Pier 21
  5. The Rockies
  6. The Igloo
  7. Old Quebec City

I am so happy that the Priarie Sky was chosen. There is nothing like it and I am thrilled that I can experience it every day. Before I moved to the prairies, I had no idea the sky could be so big, so blue, so changing. It truly is a wonder of Canada.

I have had the honour to paddle a canoe, to visit Niagara Falls and ski the Rockies. I have not yet been to Quebec City but I expect that Wes and I will make it there before too long. And believe it or not, I have never seen a "real" igloo. Around here, people tend to build quinzhees, just for fun. The snow is a little more suited to building quinzhees.

This morning Shelagh Rogers was interviewing one of the people who nominated Pier 21 in Halifax and I thought of my dad who was one of the millions of immigrants who landed there. Pier 21 has been completely refurbished and now is a museum.

I decided that I must visit Pier 21 with my dad sometime soon. He hasn't talked too much about his trip across the ocean and the landing but I think that a visit to this historic place would give us a great opportunity to talk about his first impressions of Canada and his feelings when he first stepped on Canadian soil.

Dad's a rich man now and I'm sure he's looking for ways to spend his money. ;) I think he should buy a plane ticket to Halifax and I think his children (all of whom read this blog) need to buy tickets for themselves and accompany him.

This is our heritage, this is our history.

10 comments:

Heather Plett said...

I LOVE Quebec City and was very happy to see it on the list. I haven't yet been to Pier 21, but I hope to some day.

Calgary Lawn Solutions said...

It is so true that the Prarie sky is so blue and so big. In Ontario, the 'sky' is hardly even sky anymore. It's so smoggy and brown. The sky is much more enjoyable here.

mmichele said...

i agree. about going to halifax, that is.

Anvilcloud said...

It's an odd list to me, but I'll agree with the Falls, the Sky, and the Rockies.

Whippersnapper said...

I don't know if you read the Globe and Mail or not, but yesterday Christie Blatchford wrote a pretty sarcastic piece about the whole thing, making fun especially of the "frigging prairie skies." Hmmphh. She's obviously isn't a prairie girl.

Valerie Ruth said...

hmmm. think the canoe is an interesting one. is the canoe truly canadian, invention-wise?

mmichele said...

1. those globe and mailers are always dissing prairie folk. every time i read it i find something. that's because they can't SEE their friggin' sky, I suppose.

2. the birchbark canoe IS truly canadian. first nations, canadian, that is.

Judy said...

Was Agawa Canyon in Ontario any where on the list?

That would be on my top ten list of breath-takingly beautiful places that I have been.

Anonymous said...

I so love our prairie sky and am thrilled to see it on the list. Two of the seven that I have yet to experince are Pier 21 and an actual honest to goodness igloo. My hubby is from Quebec City. Visiting Old Quebec City is like stepping back in time. I love it.

Dale said...

It's a good list, fairly chosen. I noticed the country was well represented geographically from coast to coast to coast.

Prairie skies are AWESOME! And yes, the sky here in Hogtown is decidedly smoggy.

Yes, Linda. You MUST visit Pier 21 with your dad and family. Don't wait until it's too late.