Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Menu of our Authentic Mexican Dinner

We had 3 Mexicans, one Brazilian, one German and one Turkish teen here around the supper table today as well as us, the Canadians of Dutch descent. I don't think that happens very often. What is interesting is that they all said that the women do most of the cooking in their countries but most of the best chefs are men.

Mole: They didn't make it from scratch but brought some ready-made from Mexico. I often wonder about the first person who made something like mole. She probably had all kinds of stuff in her kitchen that she didn't know what to do with so she just mushed it all together and came up with mole, a classic Mexican food.

Refried Beans: I've never had such good refried beans. They said that all they did was add some onion and a little salt and pepper. Well, somehow, they taste different made by Mexican hands.

Guacamole Salsa: Here's a great hint all the way from Medardo's mother's kitchen for all you foodies out there. When you make guacamole, keep one of the avocado pits in the sauce. It keeps it from turning that yucky brownish colour. It's true. You've gotta try it.

Fajitas: I know. You think you've had fajitas. Not these. And you've gotta hear the Mexicans say "fajita." It tastes different when they say "fajita."

Ahhhh. Now I've got to walk off some of this delicious food.

2 comments:

Heather Plett said...

Lucky you! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

The food sounds marvelous.. the company even better. :-)