I was wide awake yesterday morning at 4:00. Sheesh! What's with that? When I was younger, I could sleep all night, every night. As I age, I find my sleep is interrupted far too frequently. I don't know why I wake up most of the times but when I do, sleep often eludes me and I end up feeling pretty tired the next day. This morning as I was lying in bed, I was reminded of another night a number of years ago, when I was roused in the middle of the night. This time however, was a little different.
It was about 3 o'clock in the morning and I was awakened from a deep sleep with the sound of a distant fire truck siren. As I waited, the siren got louder and louder until I realized that it was coming right into our sub division. Moments later, I could see the flashing lights through the curtains and the deep diesel engine sound of the truck. I was trying to decide if I should get out of bed to find out which house was burning when suddenly I heard a loud banging at the door and realized that the truck wasn't moving. They were at MY house!
I made it down the stairs in record time and reached the front door, swinging it wide open only to see one of the firefighters climbing back into the truck. He must have heard something because he looked back at me, and said with a smile, "Sorry! Wrong house!" And all the firefighters left, grinning and waving at me.
I don't know where they ended up that night. I suppose it was a false alarm because I didn't hear or see anything amiss the next day.
Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep after that!
2 comments:
It's funny in the re-telling, but I'm SURE it wasn't funny THAT night!
Giggle that is a good one..... I could actually see that happening at our house.... since the man is a firefighter and firefighters are a unique group. I have had an ambulance come up to our door, a EMT knock hard on the door, I opened it and the dude just ran into the house...... husband forgot keys or something.
Post a Comment