Saturday, May 07, 2005

Naked

So, there we were, minding our own business as we were driving down the Disraeli Freeway and we see a man walking. There is nothing unusual about that. I probably travel the Disraeli more than 10 times a week. And there are people walking on the sidewalk all the time.

What made this man different was that he was naked. Stark naked. Not a stitch of clothing on his body. Nude. Unclothed. Shoeless. Hatless. Shirtless. Pantless. (You get the picture)

Other than the lack of clothing, he looked normal. Walking with a purposeful stride, head down, as if he were on his way to Safeway or 7-11 to buy a jug of milk for his kids. m was driving and the two boys in the back seat were quite impressed with the sight. This is something you may only see once in your life. I, being the oldest had never seen anything like it. The two boys wanted us to turn around for another look but m thought better of it and we continued on to our destination.

This reminded us of another story concerning a naked man. I delivered Meals On Wheels for a while when Kristen was in kindergarten. This was a great activity for us as it gave us time together to do some volunteer work.

One day, we were to go to a home where we had never delivered before. We got the meal out of the car and proceeded to the back door. It took a few minutes before the gentleman answered our knocking although that was not unusual. Most of the people we delivered to were elderly and didn't move too quickly. I noted that he was tall and handsome and looked fairly normal with his hair a little disheveled. What was not normal about this situation was that he was wearing a housecoat, open at the front and like the Disraeli Walker, naked.

I tried to stay calm. I didn't want Kristen to freak or anything but I was a little concerned about what she was seeing. Remember, she was about 4 years old and you can imagine what the eye level view was for her. I kept my eyes on the gentleman's eyes, gave him his meal and we walked back to the car.

I waited for the inevitable question.

My mind was trying to come up with answers that could explain why this man answered his door, in the middle of the day, with the family jewels displayed for all to see. Was he a little loopy? Was he perverted? I only had seconds to come up with some kind of plausible explanation for Kristen.

Finally, after I belted her into her seat Kristen turned to me and asked the question.

"Mom, did you see that man's toenails?"

Whew.