Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Brandon

As many of you faithful readers of this blog know, we are going on a European trip of a life time in a little more than one month. Part of that trip includes a 7 day biking excursion.

Every time I tell anyone about biking in Tuscany, they look at me and say, "Tuscany's pretty hilly." I've been doing a fair bit of biking here in Winnipeg but hills are virtually non existent in this city-although I can successfully bike up the Chief Peguis trail bridge now, without stopping.


So, knowing that we really needed some hill training, Wes and I put the bikes on the bike carrier and drove west.


Our first stop was Spruce Hills Provincial park. The map showed a biking/hiking trail which was 13 km long. It seemed like a great place to start. As we were getting ready to start, we saw a couple of young women who were just finishing up. I asked them how the trail was and they said it was pretty good, a little hilly and took them about 2 hours. I should have questioned the fact that it took 2 young, athletic looking women 2 hours to bike 13 kilometres but for some reason I didn't. That was my first mistake.


The next mistake was deciding that I could continue onto the third loop of the trail after doing the first and second. My third mistake was forgetting that I had to get back to the starting point. Getting there was tough enough. Going back was hell. I stopped counting my mistakes after the third one.


It was hot. It was bumpy. My butt started hurting. I ran out of water. We went up hill more than we went down hill. There was one spot where there was a sign stating that you had to walk your bike down into the gully. It was as steep as a flight of stairs only it was sandy. It took all of my might to keep from sliding all the way down on my already painful petunia. As I was slipping and sliding down, I tried to keep thoughts of the fact that somehow, I had to get back up, out of my head.


If I had been in a better frame of mind (or perhaps in better shape, like a 20 year old), I might have enjoyed the wild flowers, the babbling brook and the lovely prairie landscape. However, I was not in a good frame of mind and swore to myself that I would never, ever do such a crazy thing again. My legs were killing me, my heart was pounding out of my chest and I was thirsty. Wes, who was usually ahead of me could hear my grunting, groaning and cursing

But, finish it I did. Good thing I took these pictures because I was in no mood to appreciate the beauty of anything that day. It does look like a lovely trail, doesn't it?





8 comments:

Heather Plett said...

You go girl! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Tena said...

I do hope you will enjoy your vacation. :)

Anvilcloud said...

Been to that place -- Spirit Sands. Took a horse-drawn wagon ride.

Krista said...

Vergil and I have done that trail cold turkey (i.e. having only biked one time before going). It almost killed me. You are my new hero, Linda! I hope you're recovering okay and that the experience hasn't diminished your excitement for your vacation!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that Tuscany doesn't have hills that steep or sandy. I'm sure that all the hills are very gentle and go down more than up.(:

John

Linda said...

Krista-Cold turkey? Your MY new hero!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Linda!! :-)

Your vacation sounds so wonderfully romantic. I know it will involve bikes. But in Tuscany how can it be anything but romantic. :-)

joyce said...

oh, that is inspiring. REally.
I don't know if my rear and my back and my legs could do it, but maybe when I'm 49?