Yesterday Derrick and his side kick (don't know his name yet) arrived at 3:45, just as I was going out the door to pick Kristen up from one job and take her to her other one. I asked them if they were here to start on the floor and Derrick responded by saying yes. His body language said, "Of course lady, what did you think I was doing here?" They were supposed to have come at 9:30 that morning.
(An aside: I have met a few floor installers over the years as we've done renovations a number of times in the various houses we've owned. Most of them seem to be pretty tough. Wes tells me that when his company is doing a job where criminal record checks are required, they often have trouble finding carpet layers who don't have a record. It's a hard job and I suppose somebody's got to do it. I feel perfectly safe with these guys around though. I've got Sammy to protect me.)

My protector.
In an older house, I can say without exaggerating, that every single time you do anything, it never goes exactly as you planned. Today is no exception. When Derrick and the other guy lifted the old vinyl flooring, the worms began spilling out of the can. They (Derrick and the other guy) were appalled, I say appalled, at what they found. The sub floor was not properly attached to the other part of the floor (I really don't know the proper terms for all of this). It was attached with, horrors, drywall screws. That's why there was so much squeeking (I hadn't really noticed. It's an old house after all. There are lots of squeeks. That's part of the charm.)
Anyway, this means that the kitchen will probably take 2 more days to finish and then the carpet that they will be laying will not happen until Monday. And this was all supposed to take 2 days.
Bill, the boss, came and checked things out and now, after consultation with the homeowners (me and Wes) we have decided to replace the sub floor too. It will be the cheapest way to do it. (Ha Ha. Cheapest. That's a good one. There won't be anything cheap about that.)
Oh well, we'll have a great sub floor. I think it's kind of like buying underwear. You spend a lot of money on something that people will not see but you really notice if it's not there or not the right kind.
I just heard Derrik say something like, "this is going to be a long drawn out process." Then he said something that sounded like, "Oh s***."
Oh dear. Maybe I'm looking at 3 more days before I have my kitchen back. I'll keep you posted (as if you care).
7 comments:
glad you have a protector... no need to worry when sammy is on patrol.
except (oh you're going to be SO horrified...) the word is SQUEAK, not squeek.
you can do your repairs and delete that last comment if you want. no one will know any better.
Somehow, squeek didn't look right to me. Maybe it's because I've seen it spelled "scweeky" not too long ago.
Sounds expensive and un-fun, but you do have that ferocious dog to keep everyone in line.
Oh my.. you are scaring me here a little :-). We are just starting to talk about replacing our old kitchen flooring as well as putting in hardwood floors in the living room. I live in fear of what is under our current carpet.
Oh my.. you are scaring me here a little :-). We are just starting to talk about replacing our old kitchen flooring as well as putting in hardwood floors in the living room. I live in fear of what is under our current carpet.
Hmmmm, I seem to remember that I was the one who screwed down that sub floor!!! LOL!! Don't blame me though I was only 12 years old and I was just doing what I was told... Sorry Mom, but I was only doing what was asked of me. I know better now and for all of you out there NEVER use drywall screws for anything other than drywall.
Post a Comment