Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My Everyday Life

I think that I better post something before those of you who check this blog everyday give up on me. I'm around, I've enjoyed reading your posts and I've made a few comments here and there. I just haven't felt like there was much to write about. Life has been too busy lately (sorry for whining) and one of the first things to go when I get overwhelmed is my "fun time" on the computer. So, I'll write some random thoughts, just so you all know that I'm still alive and kicking.

-My sisters and I made lunch at Winnipeg Harvest a few days ago. We do this every Monday because we love cooking and we love the challenge of cooking at the food bank. The challenge is that we walk into the warehouse around 10:00 AM on Monday mornings and we decide the lunch menu based on what's available there. We never know! Yesterday, we cooked for about 75 people (including Tom Jackson) with only a microwave, 3 crockpots and a frying pan. The lunch menu consisted of cream of potato soup, pear salad with feta cheese and a meditteranean-style dressing, fresh fruit salad and BLTs.

Over the past 3 or so years, we have had grilled portobello mushrooms, cream of asparagus soup, and various curried dishes. We've made sandwiches with "egg salad" made out of tofu, Mexican style wraps and reuben sandwiches. We laugh at the irony that there are times we cook with foods in abundant supply at the food bank which we seldom purchase ourselves because of expense!

Many of the volunteers we cook for at Winnipeg Harvest are themselves clients of the food bank. They do not have a lot of opportunities to experience unique foods. So we try to highlight interesting flavours, spices and vegetables. We are proud of the fact that it was we who introduced sprouts to them. At first, people would remove the sprouts from their sandwiches or turn up their noses at them. Now, people just expect that they are part of the sandwiches we make and some have told us that they really enjoy them.

-Last week Thursday I went to Yvonne's to work on the sampler quilt that I am making. I was not very happy with the first block I made just over a month ago but I was very happy with the pinwheel blocks that I created this time around. It will probably take me a year to finish this quilt but that's okay. I'm enjoying this process. It is satisfying to spend an evening with a group of people, where nothing matters except for deciding what fabrics look best together and making straight 1/4 inch seams.

-Tonight I'm writing this post from the church. Very few people are coming out to participate on our "Wednesday Nights" and I don't have anything to do except lock up at the end of the evening. I'm glad I could take my computer along to catch up on my blogging. I am looking forward to my regular commitments coming to an end for the Christmas break.

-Last night Wes and I went to MTC (Manitoba Theatre Centre) to watch "A Christmas Carol." It was a great show with neat special effects (the ghost of Christmas Past actually flew with Scrooge). The costumes were excellent too.

-Tomorrow, I get to watch "Focus" (the band Tim is with) play at Academy Bar and Grill. It should be fun and because it is an all ages show, Kristen may be able to come by after her basketball game.

-Friday, it's off to Yvonne's to decorate cookies-women only. Yvonne excels at that kind of thing and at the end of the evening, we'll all be able to take home a dozen decorated cookies.

So, yeah, life is busy but life is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore Tom Jackson :-). I really missed the Huron Carole this year.
Bless you for helping out at the Winnipeg Harvest.

Heather Plett said...

Yeah, I was beginning to wonder where you'd gone! Glad to see you're back. Wish I could come make cookies with you, but it's a busy week for me too :-(