Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Happy Birthday Eric #2

Here it is, a long overdue post about Eric, my second born, who turned 22 on November 10, 2005.

I think that being the second-born can be a bit of a challenge. The oldest child has already done a lot of the "firsts" and so the second child often feels like he/she needs to find a way to stand out. Eric stood out from the beginning. I like to brag about the fact that he was almost 11 pounds at birth. That's right. One ounce short of 11 pounds. They sent him to the intermediate care nursery at the hospital as soon as he was born because they wanted to keep an eye on him due to his size. When I went down to see him, it was no problem picking him out. He was the healthy looking, full term baby in a room with all of the other wee 5 pound or less babies.

Eric was the absolute cutest baby around. I know. You all think your kids are cute but Eric stood out. White blond hair, chubby pink cheeks and beautiful blue eyes. (I still think he's cute)

Eric, I have always appreciated your imagination and creativity. You would solicit the help of your younger siblings to create plays and dramas. We even have "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" on a VHS tape. It's such fun to watch. You produced, narrated, directed and acted and you got Tim and Kristen to join in the fun too.

You have always had a sensitive side. There is something within your spirit that draws children. I just loved it when little, 2 year old Micah would call you "Ericmyfriend." Even today, Micah's 9 and he and his little buddies consider you their friend. There is a gentleness and approachability that you have that allows children to feel comfortable and accepted in your presence. You will make a great dad one day.

One of the ways you've had to stand out in this family is your decision to follow the drama/music path in your life. You actually were a pretty good volleyball player and athlete in juniour high but you chose to pursue the artistic side of your personality. I am so proud of you for doing that and for investing your time and energy into your music. And look where it's gotten you! I can't wait to hear Aslan's Child. I'm glad that you are really enjoying your participation in that group.

I also appreciate your willingness to follow your own path. Ever since you were able to communicate, you could not be forced into anything you didn't want to do. Sometimes, that created some tension between you and I when you were little but it is a character trait that will continue to stand you in good stead. Did you know that Eric means "honourable ruler?" A leader with integrity and honour-that's you.

I am pleased that you are working so hard these days to get your communications degree. You are taking a full course load and you are working at Aqua-Tech. You're impacting the lives of children in the GNF Children's Community and you are part of Aslan's Child. You have filled your life with important, "eternal" things and I am so proud of you for making those choices and decisions.

I am excited about what God has in store for you, in your 23rd year. In the bible Jeremiah 29: 11-13 says: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart"

That is my hope and prayer for you Eric.

Love,
Mom

(P.S. Jeremiah 29: 6 says, "Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters." Eric, I know this really cute girl...)

1 comment:

Heather Plett said...

Happy belated birthday, Eric. You're a cool and talented guy. I'm glad you're part of our community.