My heart goes out to our brothers and sisters in London who experienced the terror and horror of war in a very personal way yesterday. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be trapped in those carriages while smoke swirled around and darkness closed in. I am reminded of the terrorist attack in New York a few short years ago. While I may not agree with many of the decisions that the British and American politicians have made over the last few years, I cannot condone any kind of violence or act of terrorism.
Ken Livingstone, mayor of London strongly condemned the attacks. "This was not a terrorist attack against the mighty and the powerful; it is not aimed at presidents or prime ministers; it was aimed at ordinary working class Londoners, black and white, Muslim and Christians, Hindu and Jew, young and old, indiscriminate attempt at slaughter irrespective of any considerations, of age, of class, of religion, whatever, that isn't an ideology, it isn't even a perverted faith, it's just indiscriminate attempt at mass murder, and we know what the objective is, they seek to divide London.
I must agree with Mr. Livingstone. These thugs are not ideologists, they do not represent anyone or anything that is Muslim. There is nothing "holy" about what they're doing. How can they talk about a "holy war?" To be holy means "to belong to, associate with, or consecrated to God or a divine power." What I know about God is that he is all about love. Killing innocent people on a subway is not an act of love.
I admire the British for the way they're dealing with this. They will not be intimidated by these murderers. Watching the news last night, most of the people interviewed said that they would continue working and living in London and using the subway. It reminds me of the many stories of courage we hear of the bombing of London during WWII.
It is at times like this, when the ugly side of humanity rises up that I wonder what I can do to change the world. I feel so helpless. Sure, I can write my politicians and get some form letter back from them thanking them for my interest. I can join organisations that promote peace and justice. However, I think that Mother Teresa had it right when she said, "Peace and war begin at home. If we truly want peace in the world, let us begin by loving one another in our own families. If we want to spread joy, we need for every family to have joy."
While I am an imperfect parent and citizen, I can begin spreading joy in my home, my neighbourhood and to the people with whom I come in contact. If I share something of the love of God to people around me, I believe that I can make a difference in the world.
2 comments:
Wise words. I think you ARE making a difference in the world Linda - at least you are in MY world!
Amen.
Post a Comment