Monday, July 18, 2005

It's A Miracle!

We have an hp 2210 all-in-one printer which we have owned for about 2 years. When it works, it works beautifully. I can fax, scan, print-even print pretty good looking pictures. The problem with this particuar printer is that IT HASN'T WORKED PROPERLY SINCE WE BOUGHT IT! Sorry for yelling but I can't help it. Every now and then, FOR NO REASON, the printer stops working and makes this annoying clicking sound. The only way to fix it is if I turn it off and on at least 50 TIMES. If I'm lucky, it will start working again and I will once again, enjoy everything this amazing machine has to offer. (Actually, it is usually Wes who does the off/on thing most of the time because he is far more patient than I am. I'm not too proud to give credit where credit is due.)

About 2 weeks ago, I did the off/on thing at least ONE HUNDRED TIMES and it still didn't work so we hauled out the old printer we have upstairs and hooked it up to the computer. We call this printer the "workhorse" because it never dies although it's getting streakier as it ages.

I missed my all-in-one and we can't afford to buy a new one so Wes did a most amazing, unusual thing. He went on to the Hewlett Packard website, asked for advice, and within hours, we received an email back, suggesting that we do some fancy acrobatics with our fingers while plugging in the power chord. We tried it, not expecting anything to happen but much to our amazement, it worked! I still can't believe it! I can once again use my printer/scanner/fax.

We have learned several valuable lesson through all of this.
  1. When you enter some websites and ask questions, you may actually get a response from a real person. Thank you Clint!
  2. Sometimes it is possible to fix an electronic machine rather than have to throw it away (which seems to be the case more often than not).
  3. It's worth sending an inquiry. You may be surprised.
  4. The next time something like this happens, I'm going to get help sooner rather than later.

Oh joy! Now, I'm going to check the Kenmore site to find out about my 1 year old washer.

1 comment:

Heather Plett said...

Oooo... maybe they can tell me how to fix the streaks on our printer!