This is the sound of one voice
One spirit, one voice
The sound of one who makes a choice
This is the sound of one voice
This is the sound of voices two
The sound of me singing with you
Helping each other to make it through
This is the sound of voices two
This is the sound of voices three
Singing together in harmony
Surrendering to the mystery
This is the sound of voices three
This is the sound of all of us
Singing with love and the will to trust
Leave the rest behind it will turn to dust
This is the sound of all of us
This is the sound of one voice
One people, one voice
A song for every one of us
This is the sound of one voice
This is the sound of one voice.
The song begins with only one person singing..."This is the sound of one voice..." On the second verse, a second voice joins in harmony but the sound is "open." For you music freaks out there, the harmony in the second verse is mostly intervals of 4ths 5ths and 6ths. It sounds beautiful but it feels somewhat incomplete. On the 3rd verse, a third harmony joins and completes the chord. In the last verse, there is perfect harmony but notice the words "This is the sound of one voice." Three different parts, but all working together to create something beautiful.
Oooh. It gives me goosebumps. It is so simple, so clever and so beautiful. This is how we should view the world and our relationships. Many distinct parts but the potential to create something beautiful. I think that's why I love harmony so much. I enjoy all kinds of music but when I hear well sung harmonies such as the ones by the Wailin' Jennys, I am deeply touched.
Other things about the Folk Festival that I enjoyed:
- Standing in line for water. I stood in line for 1/2 hour, in the stifling heat, waiting to fill my water bottle. Yes, I enjoyed it because it helped me think about the millions of people in this world who have to stand in line for hours, in the blazing sun any time they need water. I am so grateful for cold, clean fresh water that is usually available at the turn of a tap.
- The harmonies.
- The sound. The sound technicians did an amazing job.
- The incredible diversity of people.
- Just hangin' out, eating junk food.
- Always hearing music.
- It was too hot for me to dance but watching people dancing especially to the sound of the Irish jigs and reels. They reminded me of fairies, even though they were full grown, adults and children.
- Parents and children enjoying the same music.
- We didn't encounter any obnoxious, rude people. People truly were friendly, cheerful and kind.
Like Heather, I can't wait for next year.
4 comments:
Rememeber when Bong Thugs N Harmony cameout with "If I could teach the world" and they wanted to teach us all the be thugs in harmony. That was rockin
Hi Linda. Sounds like you had a brilliant time! I will go tomorrow and buy that CD. The lyrics are awesome! Maybe, there's something there that I can sing with Cy in church in the fall. I am a singer now, you know. LOL!!!
I LOVE that cd! I bought it last year, and it's one of my favourites. I even got permission from the Jennys to use that song on a multi-media presentation I made for work, 'cause it worked so perfectly for a presentation about people helping each other.
Yeah, that's one my favorites of theirs too.
Post a Comment