- Conception: A fetus is conceived
- Birth: A baby girl is born
- Infancy: The daughter fixates on her mother
- Childhood: Mother teaches daughter how to be female
- Adolescence: Daughter pushes away from mother to find independence
- Partnership: Daughter selects and attracts a partner
- Motherhood: Daughter becomes pregnant and gives birth
We are definitely at stage #5 in our house. Raising a daughter has brought on a whole new meaning of parenting for me. It is, so far, the most challenging stage. My own insecurities as a parent are constantly finding their way into my consciousness. Have I taught her well? Will the morals and beliefs that she has seen in my life influence the decisions she is making? Does she know I love her? Have I taught her "how to be female?"
How can a mother teach her daughter how to be female when the lessons she herself learned were unacceptable? In my day, I learned that women were either "doormats" or "sex objects." I learned that the most important thing was to be liked by others. It was hard to know where I fit into this belief system.
So I taught my daughter to not let a man dictate who she was and to be able to take care of herself. She learned a very important lesson from her dad too and that was to not allow "the acceptance of others" influence her actions. I guess that's what you call independence. Unfortunately, she is practising the very things I have attempted to teach her and I DON'T LIKE IT! I long for the days when we could cuddle on the couch and read stories, when I could put her to bed and say her prayers, and when I was the first person she turned to for advice or comfort. I long for the days when I really knew what was best for her and most often could convince her of that. And if she couldn't be convinced, I would just make her do what I needed her to do because I was bigger than her. Back then, it was easier to know what was best.
Today, I just don't know. She's become wise and often, when she pushes against the boundaries, I don't know what to do or say. If I don't have a good reason, it's hard for me to argue. "Because I just don't feel comfortable with it" is not a good enough answer for her. I want her to know that I trust her but so often, when those boundaries are tested and I fail to give permission, she assumes that I don't trust her.
Sometimes, I can make myself crazy worrying about all of this.
But today, a little gift. She came home for a couple of minutes to pick up her towel and a sandwich because she's going to the beach with a few friends. She looked cute, with her hair in pigtails. I was feeling a little blue about all of this stuff and she actually asked me if there was something wrong. Then she asked me what I was doing today. Finally, before she left, she hesitated at the door long enough for me to hug her and tell her that I loved her. I hold on to these brief moments of connection. They are pauses in our often stormy relationship, minute events that keep me loving her and reminding me that she's not a bad kid after all.
3 comments:
Sigh. My communication with Nikki is ALREADY challenging, and we haven't even entered the teen years. Your ongoing challenges do NOT give me comfort.
Well (obviously) I can't offer any words of wisdom in this regard. But, what I CAN tell you about is my relationship with my dad: I don't think a day of high school went by when my dad and I didn't butt heads. We disagreed, we fought, I pushed and DEFINITELY created an independence that he too had encouraged in me but likely hated at times. And so it was, year after year. (I was the only child at home during this time so I'm sure my mom wearied of it all.) And then one day, I moved out. And something changed. It wasn't instantaneous but little by little my father and I learned to communicate and in the end I gained an appreciation for him and he gained a respect of me. And we gained a relationship above all. Who knows? Maybe the same will happen with your daughter? (Sorry, that probably doesn't make it any easier right now.)
Heather-Maybe she's just going through it earlier than others. You'll really enjoy her at 16.
Jo-Thanks for the kind words!
ccap-That actually does help. It gives me hope that we'll get through this stage and actually like each other again.
Post a Comment